LEGISLATIVE UPDATE FOR WEEK OF MAY 10, 2021
First Biden Budget Request to be Released Soon
Plus, a transportation & vaccine distribution update
The date to keep your eye on is Thursday, May 27. The Biden Administration announced that is the date the President will release his FY2022 budget request. As we have noted, most Presidents’ budgets are dead on arrival, but with Democrats controlling the House, Senate, and White House, expect this budget to have more influence than budgets past.
In addition, this week the Senate Appropriations Committee set its submission deadlines as well as confirmed which “pots” of funding will be eligible for Community Project Funding requests (or
“Congressionally Directed Spending” as it is being called in the Senate). Here is what you need to know about the Appropriations process:
- Some Senators will not make any requests, some will consider on a case-by-case basis, and still others have already said they will make requests.
- Senators who will make requests have begun releasing their request forms and setting deadlines. Some deadlines are as soon as the week of May 24.
- The Senate’s available funding pots largely align with the House, with some notable exceptions, such as Defense, where only programmatic plus-up requests will be accepted.
- Members of the House were limited to just 10 Community Project requests; it is unclear whether Senators will face any such limit.
- While each Senator will handle the process a little differently, we understand that to cover as many priorities for their State as possible, at least some (and perhaps many) Senators will not request projects that made it on the “short list” in the House.
[su_button url=”https://www.deepwaterpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Week-of-5.10.pdf” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#ff9900″ color=”#000000″ size=”8″]View Full Summary[/su_button]